Tuesday, October 20, 2009

In the Shadow of My Tree


“In the Shadow of ‘My Tree’ ”

Norm Nicholson

As a young boy of 10 years old, the summer of 1959 found me in “My tree” most of my spare time, when I was not helping put up hay or doing my regular chores. As I recall, a neighbor boy and my little brother, (both 2 years younger) and I, constructed the tree house (with a little help from our Dad) about half way between the neighbor boy, Jack’s house, and ours.

Although the “Tree House Tree” was less than an eighth mile from either house, a real escape into an imaginary world was possible there. With the help of our father, we set up a semi-working battery operated telegraph and ran wires to our second floor bedrooms in each house from the tree house tree. Our humble tree dwelling was quite the boy’s dream! Sometimes equipped with a crystal radio, thanks to my brother Lynn, and close by to our bass pond/swimming hole.

This young man knew at an early age there was something very special about trees, and especially “My Tree”. That summer of 1959 was more special than I knew at the time. Not fully realizing the magnitude of what I had done, I publicly accepted Christ, and was baptized later that year. The tree had been a major influence in allowing me time alone with God. Although there were more questions than answers, I learned to talk one-on-one, me and God in the shadow of “my tree”. Now as I look back, I often long for those special talks in the shade of the large Elm, and I regularly find the need to get away with him with just my back pack and camera. Peaceful, thanking moments now are still treasured in that shadow that continues to follow me.

I often think of the trees we pass in life, each one gazed upon, and a special connection. That tree connected me with friends, with nature, and with God. I know Dad knew of the special connection. He helped place value in those solitary thanking moments, and made sure I knew I was never really alone in the shadow of “my tree”. Our father was a carpenter, and often would make a serious point that we should never take the wood for granted. Dad’s influence would tell of the timber Jesus carried for me, without ever saying it that way. He farmed also, and would build the best hedge post fences in the community, often remarking about those trees linking the whole thing together. I now know he has always been aware of that special connection too.

I try to appreciate “My Tree” now, as I have grown older, possessively in my own heart and mind. This one is shaped in the form of a cross, casting it’s shadow on me. His cross, His tree, my Tree. Trees protect us, house us, hold up our fences. They provide wind breaks and shade, they inspire, trees provide habitat, they nourish us, they teach us, they connect us and one tree saved us.

Love to all, Norm

No comments:

Post a Comment