Saturday, September 12, 2009

Each man should give
what he has decided in his heart to give,
not reluctantly or under compulsion,
for God loves a cheerful giver.
-2 Corinthians 9:7 NIV
Giving back!
       I am not sure why, but I love to help those who have a real need.  I guess it makes us feel really good inside to know that we have said the right thing at the right time, or been there to just listen when they needed to tell someone about their "life lesson" moment.
          She was an elderly lady - mid 70"s most likely.  She was very pleasant as I walked up to the cash register where she was about to check out my small load of purchases at the local store.  As checkers do, she asked if I found everything ok, as I proceeded to pile everything from my shopping cart to the check-out moving treadmill.  I replied that all I needed to find yet today was a little more time.  You see, it was almost ready to rain outside, and I was wanting to get home to do some painting.
          She said: "you and I have them all allright"!  I thought she was referring to my small boatload of purchases.  But then she said: "yes sir you have all 24 of them"!  She was referring to all 24 hours, when I finally understood what she was meaning!   I said; "actually, I need more time before the rain starts to do some painting outdoors".  "Oh well", I said, "we always need the rain".
          Then her face got very sad looking, and she told me that sometimes she did not like the rain any more.  She related how it was raining the night her husband died in her arms at home.  She had to listen to the driving hard rain storm as she waited for the ambulance to arrive.  She just knew that it was too late, and it seemed like a very long time before the rescue unit came.
          That will always remind her of the saddest time in her life, and all I could do was listen.  Several people had piled up behind me in the check out line, and all of them were watching me listen to a sad story that brought tears to an elderly lady, as she released some needed tension to a total stranger!  No one said a word, and I was very aware by then, that they all were beginning to almost tear-up too.
          I then finished up my purchases, and gave her a small hug, and a pat on the shoulder, as I said "I will say a special prayer for you".  She said "thank you for listening to me, and I want you to know the next week for his funeral, it stopped raining.  He even sent His rainbow to remind me that He would always be there for me!  You know, today was his birthday".
          I am thankful for the lesson he gave us in the check out line that day!  It could have been different.  People behind me could have complained.  I could have rushed on home to paint.  I could have missed His rainbow "life lesson"!
Love to all, Norm
The content and pictures of this blog are copyrighted
Please do not copy or use the content or pictures
in any way without express written permission.
Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if I can keep reading your blog if I have to tear up every time!!
    :)

    ReplyDelete